Saturday, June 15, 2013

Exploring Value and The Subtractive Color Theory

In this week's assignment we have been asked to create a Value Scale and a Color Theory Wheel. The perfectionist in me had some trouble with this.  Did I get the right paint? That color certainly isn't supposed to look like THAT!!!  IS this paper okay? Ohhhhh these pencils!!!!  IS this lighter???? Those were just some of the many questions that whirled in my brain as I was creating this project.  Well here is how they turned out:

 

Value Scale


 

Color Theory Wheel




I found the process of actually sitting down and creating these to be much more difficult than I had initially anticipated.  The idea of painting or drawing is so foreign to me.  I had more difficulty with the color wheel.  I watched the color wheel video at least ten times to try to replicate the process in my head before trying it myself.  Then as I was doing it, I kept pausing as I was completing the steps. I will say though that the paint was much easier to use than I thought. I purchased all my art supplies at Hyatt's in Buffalo and let me tell you, someone who isn't familiar with paint, WHOA was that daunting!!! So when I sat down to use them, I thought it would be much more difficult. To create the value scale I purchased a graphic medium pencil set of varying lead.  This helped me scale down.  I also used a kneaded eraser to help with the areas I felt were too dark and then to help me clean up the lines at the end. 

I would say I preferred working with the pencils, I found it quite soothing to sit there and gently, meticulously shade in the boxes. The process of creating a lighter colored box than the previous was challenging yet fun at the same time.

The most important discovery I found was the way colors come together.  Trying to balance the color just right, so that you end up with your desired shade is an art in itself.  I know I myself struggled with it and must have gone through 6 palettes in creating the color wheel.      

The most important part of the videos for me was the process of creating the color wheel.  Seeing the artist mixing the paints and the order in which it was done was of the most help to me.  I felt the value scale video was good but could have been more helpful in terms of shading techniques. 

I would say that I am happy with the way both of my creations turned out and this was an excellent way to get familiar with both media.  That purple though!!  Oh I wish it didn't look so dark scanned! Also the shading of my scale is much better than it appears via scan.   

No comments:

Post a Comment