Sunday, August 4, 2013

Reflecting back on Project 4

This project was quite the challenge, I'm glad that I took my time with it these last couple weeks rather than just cramming it together at the last minute.  I would be so stressed right now if I had a lot left to finished.  There was so much that went into creating this art exhibit.  Coming up with a theme is probably what took me the longest.  I was going between several and kept coming up short.  Initially I wanted to do an exhibit that featured analogous works of art, colors from the same side of the color wheel.  That was difficult to search for works of art though and I would have spent way too much time finding works of art.  Then I wanted to do a theme on a particular emotion, but I again was having trouble searching that topic.  Then I decided to look at pieces of art that I have personally loved and find a theme based on one of those.  Bam, that was it. Once I pulled up Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte by Georges Seurat, I knew my theme would be pointillism. 

Another challenge I had was accessing ArtStor, I tried everything.  Even watched a video on registering but couldn't get the screen where you register to pop up, only a log in screen.  I sent an email to ArtStor directly and they explained that for registering I had to be on the Buffalo State proxy and that could be done through the Butler Library website.  Once I did that, it worked and I was able to register and then use the website.   Its so user friendly and made my searching for pieces so much easier.  ArtStor is where I found the majority of my artworks. 


Creating the PowerPoint layout was pretty simple for me, its a program I'm familiar with and comfortable using.  I wanted to use a simple theme as my layout theme, similar to the design elements used in an art gallery.  I didn't want to take away or distract from the works of art I was using.  I also chose a simple color scheme, fonts and page layouts.  I wanted to create continuity and flow from one slide to the next.  I opted not to use transitions or animations, as I felt they would also be distracting for the viewer.  The citations for the artwork are in the notes section of each slide.  
I organized my pieces into the following sections:
  • Inspiration
  • Pointillist Everyday Life
  • Seasonally Pointed
  • Points on the Waterfront
  • Pointillism of the Sea
  • Poignant Portraiture
  • Modern Points
Doing this helped to let the viewer know why I selected each piece and helped to guide you through the exhibit.

Writing the interpretations of each piece was difficult but by using the Art Criticism steps from the previous assignments, I was able to come up with informed interpretations.   I did second guess myself quite a bit and spent more time than I had anticipated on it. 

Overall, I'm very proud of my end result and I hope everyone enjoys it and appreciates the hard work and time I put into this project.  I'm also interested to see how everyone else's exhibits turned out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment