Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Mod 10 Videos Blog

I chose these two videos as my selections:
African Art: A Legacy of Oppression
The Great Wave


1. Explain why you selected each of the TWO videos you choose from the selection listed above.

I selected the African Art: A legacy of Oppression because the title intrigued me as well as the description of the video.  I chose The Great Wave because I have admired this painting and was interested in learning more about its background

2. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.

A key concept I learned from the African Art video was that much of the art we see as western art has roots in African Art, in particular the minimalist abstract. Another key concept was how terribly the African people were treated and then even displayed as art to "enrich" the western society about the African people and lands. 

A key concept I learned from The Great Wave video was the making of a print.  I didn't realize that you needed to make a separate woodblock relief for each color that will be in the print.  I found this portion of the video most informative.  What a tedious process this is. 


3. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?

The African art video relates to the African art section of the text in chapter 18 and helped me to understand the ideals behind their art.

The Great Wave video related to the previous chapter on prints and in chapter 19's description of Japanese art. 

4. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the readings and art concepts?

I felt the African video was done very well, full of information and was only 21 minutes long.  This video helped me to gain a better knowledge as to how the art came to the western world, as horrifying as it is to think about. 

The Great Wave was an interesting video and helped me to better grasp the concepts of prints and editions of prints. 

No comments:

Post a Comment