Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Mod 9 Videos Blog

For this week's module I chose the below videos:
Leonardo da Vinci: The Mind of the Renaissance
Velazquez

1. Explain why you selected each of the TWO videos you choose from the selection listed above.

I selected these two videos based on the descriptions of the videos on the link and because I was interested in learning more about Leonardo da Vinci. I chose the video about Velazquez because I was unfamiliar with his work.

2. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.

The key concept I learned from the Leonardo da Vinci was just how vast his talents were. Not only as an artist but as a scientist, an architect, and engineer. He was an innovator almost from childbirth.  As a young child he was always trying to learn more and even started inventing new ways to do everyday activities like reading. He became so talented that his mentor Veraccio stopped creating art after seeing da Vinci develop. 

The key concept I learned from the Velazquez video was how he was able to balance the humanity of the figures while still depicting them as a "jester" or a character.  He did this skillfully through his use of color, the use of subtle and bold together and also in the way in which he painted their faces as distorted and lacking light suggesting that they were dim witted. 

2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?

Both videos expand the knowledge of each artist.  The text does talk about and showcase each of these two artists but the videos give you a more detailed understanding of each artists life. 

3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the readings and art concepts?

I found both films interesting, particularly the video on da Vinci; I found his life fascinating.  The description of his use of hatching gave me a better understanding of that art concept, it was helpful to see the drawing as the description was explained.  In the Velazquez video I found the description on his use of simple coloring as opposed to rich and vibrant colors to get his point across helpful in better understanding of the use of colors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment