Saturday, July 27, 2013

Mod 12 Videos, Pop & Peace

I chose these two videos for this week's post:
Andy Warhol: Images of an Image
Isamu Noguchi: The Sculpture of Spaces

1. Explain why you selected each of the TWO videos you choose from the selection listed above.

I chose Andy Warhol: Images of an Image because I have found myself drawn to his work since my visit to the Albright Knox and see his work in their Pop Art Exhibit. I chose the Isamu Noguchi: The Sculpture of Spaces because the description of the video interested, it was different from any video I have watched thus far.

2. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.

A key concept I took from the Warhol video was a better understanding of how he created his works of art and how he chose the images he was going to turn into his art. I also found the description of how the image is never the same when the screen printing is done as Warhol had done. His Ten Lizes is evidence of that, her image starts out nearly an exact copy of the original picture but as the image is duplicated it changes and finally the last image is much different from the original.

A key concept I learned was just how much goes into creating a garden or sculpture park on a large scale. I had no idea these took so many years to create. Another key concept was the way in which these parks create a sense peace and serenity for the community in which they are located. I loved the sections of the video that were silent and you could only hear the sounds of the water sculptures or the birds in the park, made me feel like I was there. Very peaceful experience.

3. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?

The text goes into detail about Warhol in Ch. 22 but this video gave me more detailed understanding of how exactly he created his works. It was also to see his photo journalism pieces again, we saw those earlier this semester.

The Hoguchi video related to portion of the text in Ch 22 discussing Land Art.

4. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the readings and art concepts?

The Warhol video was done well, I would have liked it to have included more about his personal life. This video expanded my knowledge of printmaking and screen printing. 

The Hoguchi video was excellent, I loved the peaceful nature of the video and that the artist was featured so highly and was explaining his works in his own words. This video helped with my understanding of Land Art and sculpture, seeing these parks created helped me understand how some of the sculptures and land art examples may have come to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment